Quinoa Quesadillas with Guacamole
This is a delicious recipe! Trust us!
A couple of things – you can use Gardein “chick’n”, which is a vegan meat alternative. It does have both (non GMO) soy and wheat, so if you are wheat or soy free it is not a good alternative for you. Black beans are also a great alternative to meat!
Another idea for those of you who are super busy during the week.
Prepare either this filling or the burrito filling on the weekend. (If you have a big family, you may want to double batch it.) The first night, make the burritos. The second make guacamole and use the filling to make quesadillas.
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 2 cups cooked “Chick’n”, cubed (I use Gardein)
• 2 cups frozen organic corn, thawed
• 1/2 cup cilantro
• 1 cup grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
• 8 8 -inch tortillas (regular or gluten free)
• 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
• 2 ripe avocados
• 1/2 cup red onion, chopped fine
• 1/2 jalapeno, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1/2 teaspoon Pure Himalayan Salt
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine quinoa, Chick’n, corn and cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste. (You can add additional spices if you like, but it is good without them if you are in a rush. I added a teaspoon each of – cumin, chili powder and onion powder.)
3. Divide mixture among the 8 tortillas and top with cheese and fold in half.
4. Heat 1/2 of the oil in a large skillet. Place tortillas in skilled and weigh down with lid. Cook until brown and then carefully flip. Cook for another two minutes, until brown. Place in a warm oven and continue with remaining tortillas.
5. TO MAKE GUACAMOLE
6. Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl and mash well with the back of your fork. Stir in red onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle with salt. Mix well. If not serving immediately, cover with a small piece of plastic wrap directly on the guacamole until serving to help slow browning.